Skip to main content
Please review and correct the information below.

Housing Advice for Older People


The City of York Council’s positive ageing housing choices guide is designed to take you through the range of services available that can advise, assist and support you to remain in your own home, as well as discussing the other types of accommodation options.

First Stop

City of York Council is currently working in partnership with First Stop, a national agency offering free independent information and advice for older people, their families and carers.

This partnership aims to help older people make informed decisions about their housing options, such as:

  • staying in and adapting your home
  • moving to a more suitable property
  • moving to a new home where help or care is at hand
  • moving to a care home

Contact City of York Council’s  Older People Housing Advisor for free, impartial housing advice and information for home owners, private and social housing tenants.

First Call York

If you are over 50 and live in York, you can contact the Age UK First Call information service for advice on services you need in order to stay safe, healthy and independent in your own home

York Housing Association - Intensive Housing Management Services

York Housing Association offer a visiting support service which works with residents to prevent or address breaches of tenancy which have been caused by building related issues. Intensive Housing management is not personal support and support is offered in the following areas:

  • Provide advice on building related issues e.g. safety of property, logging and reporting repairs, coordinating repairs, to act as a contact for contractors
  • Assist with management of rent arrears
  • Develop and monitor budgets
  • Maximise income and claim benefits as appropriate
  • Ensure property is kept in acceptable standard
  • Address issues arising as a result of hoarding
  • Address issues around antisocial behaviour, noise, nuisance and harassment

This service is only available to City of York Council and York Housing Associations tenants. Tenants must be in receipt of benefits to cover the cost of support or be able to self fund.

For more information on the service provided by York Housing – Intensive Housing Management please contact the Single Access Point on 01904 553844 or email

Visit the  City of York Council website for more information about housing for older people.

Information from City of York Council

Carbon monoxide awareness

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colourless, odourless, tasteless, poisonous gas produced by incomplete burning of carbon-based fuels, including gas, oil, wood and coal.

Carbon-based fuels are safe to use - it's only when the fuel does not burn properly that excess CO is produced, which is poisonous.

For further information about the risks of carbon monoxide and safety measures visit the City of York Council carbon monoxide awareness webpage.

For more information from the City of York Council about:

  • Money and benefits advice
  • Housing and accommodation
  • Repairs and maintenance around the home
  • Healthcare and social services
  • keeping your home warm

Please visit the City of York Council website here.

Last reviewed: 22/05/2019