Skip to main content
Please review and correct the information below.

Independent Living for Older People


You may wish to live in your home and require some information and advice about how to remain independent.

This page contains information about the options that might be available to you, including:

  • Yorkshire Housing – Help at Hand Floating Support.
  • Accommodation options

Yorkshire Housing Association

Help at Hand Floating Scheme

Yorkshire Housing Association offer a visiting  support service for people, aged 60+ and people who have a disability, aged 18+

Examples of support offered:

  • Home Help
  • Collect Prescriptions
  • Making a Meal
  • Companionship
  • Social Outings
  • Shopping
  • Benefit Application
  • Keeping/Making Appointments
  • Dog Walking

For more information on the service provided by Yorkshire Housing Association – Help at Hand floating support please contact the Single Access Point on 01904 553844 or email 

Homeshare York

Homeshare York

Homeshare York is a not-for-profit service that matches a Householder with a Homesharer for mutual benefit. The sharer will provide 10 hours of support a week in exchange for accommodation.

Homeshare could be an option to consider if you:

  • Are aged 55 years or over
  • Are an owner of a suitable property with a spare room
  • Live by yourself
  • Could benefit from some practical support and/or companionship
  • Do not require/ receive personal care
  • Are not in receipt of means-tested benefits

If you feel that you could benefit from Homeshare but do not quite fit the above criteria please contact HomeShare and they will consider individual circumstances.

Click City of York Council - Homeshare website to find out more.

Accommodation Options

If you are finding it more difficult to live in and maintain your home, you may be considering different housing options.

You could speak to the City of York Council’s Specialist housing adviser (frail elderly and complex needs), about any aspect of housing options including:

  • staying in your current home
  • making your home better fit your needs
  • getting support or adaptattions in your own home
  • moving to alternative or specialist accommodation

to have a look at our older persons housing options guide or call 01904 554044 for more information or to make an appointment.

Alternatively for accommodation with support and care please go to:

First Stop


If you have some level of support needs independent living may be suitable for you.

City of York Council provide a range of accommodation across the city for older people who want to continue to live independently but with the knowledge that as your needs change support is available.

All the independent living for older people accommodation we provide is self-contained, accessible and affordable.

For more information visit the City of York Council website here.

For more information about:

  • Applying for independent living accommodation.
  • Types of independent living accommodation.
  • Information on the schemes available and your eligibility.

Please visit the City of York Council website here.

Housing Associations

Housing Associations are usually non-profit making organisations providing a range of accommodation for rent (and in some cases purchase, including shared ownership).

The City of York Council  'nominates' (puts forward) tenants to many of these homes; register with the Council so you don’t miss any opportunities if you are looking for a home.

The size, type and location of homes vary from one association to another. Each association will be able to give you more information about their homes in York.


For more information on the housing associations in York please visit the City of York Council website.

Last reviewed: 01/06/2018