Please review and correct the information below.

Arranging your own Care

Organising Care and Support

The council do not have to be involved in organising your care and support. If you know what you want and are able to pay for this yourself you can buy your own equipment (see Equipment to help you in your home) or arrange private care yourself.

Information about products and organisations providing support can be found on the services and products directory area of this website.

If your support needs include social needs then you could look at the Community Activities Directory and it is also worth keeping an eye on the Community Events Calendar.

Most care providers are inspected by the Care Quality Commission and further information can be found on their website . They can also be contacted by telephone on 03000 616161.  Whilst the Care Quality Commission have a responsibility to inspect providers of care, City of York Council are the lead agency in respect of any safeguarding concerns that you or a relative may have. If you are employing your own carer or personal assistant (on a private basis), the council recommend you ask for references and ensure safety checks are completed.   Please refer to the Disclosure and Barring Service for more information.

If you wish to organise your own support but would like some more information or assistance to do this, please contact the adult social care team on (01904) 555111 or alternatively, call into one of the Talking Points.

Please be aware that you may be eligible for financial assistance in order to pay for care and support through the council. For more information on this, please see the paying for care and support section.

Getting Informed

Information about starting to look for care and who to talk to about meeting the costs can be found at

Mental Capacity

If there is some indication that you lack the mental capacity to make a decision around care and support then the guidance in the Mental Capacity Act 2005 needs to be followed. Please see the mental capacity section on the website for more information.

If you want to organise care and support for someone who does not have the capacity to make this decision and you do not hold  Lasting Power of Attorney for health and welfare and property and finances or are not their appointed Deputy under the Court of Protection please contact adult social care on (01904) 555111 to discuss further.

Last reviewed: 27/11/2019

Live Well York is supported by

While every care has been taken in the compilation of this information, neither City of York Council, its partners or Public Consulting Group will be held responsible for any loss, damage or inconvenience caused as a result of using the site and any inaccuracies/errors within these pages.