Please review and correct the information below.

Adapting your Home


If you're registrable as disabled and want to adapt your home (to make it easier to live independently) you can arrange a free occupational therapy assessment via City of York Council’s Customer Access and Assessment Team.

Following your assessment, City of York Council Housing Standards and Adaptations Team will determine whether the work you want to carry out is reasonable and practical. Based on the outcome, we may be able to help with the cost and installation.


The City of York Council website has information on the following:

  • Types of adaptations
  • Cost of adapting your home
  • Adaption grants

Adaptations for self funding home owners please click on the following City of York Council link


Age UK produce a guide, Adapting your home, which can be read online or printed off.

Independent Age has advice about home adapations

Disability Rights UK have a Factsheet on Housing Grants.

Last reviewed: 22/10/2019

Live Well York is supported by

While every care has been taken in the compilation of this information, neither City of York Council, its partners or Public Consulting Group will be held responsible for any loss, damage or inconvenience caused as a result of using the site and any inaccuracies/errors within these pages.