Please review and correct the information below.

Adult Social Care

Who can get support through the council?

Adult social care is about providing personal and practical advice and support to adults who need help to live an enjoyable life as independently as possible. 

Adults who may need extra care and support include:

  • older people
  • people with learning disabilities
  • people with physical disabilities or long term health conditions
  • people with mental health problems
  • people with drug and/or alcohol issues
  • carers


In order to get support from City of York Council, you must –

What is care and support?

Care and support is the term used to describe the help some adults need to live as well as possible with any illness or disability they may have. It can include help with things like –

  • accessing food, and preparing and eating meals.
  • washing and support to launder clothes.
  • getting dressed and being appropriately dressed. For example, able to dress appropriately to attend work.
  • moving around the home safely (also see You and Your Home section).
  • maintaining and cleaning the home.
  • maintaining and developing relationships with family and friends.
  • making use of the local community, including public transport, and leisure activities, facilities or services.
  • accessing and engaging in work, training, education or volunteering.
  • caring for a child.


It also might include emotional support during a difficult time or helping you if you are caring for a family member or friend.

Care and support includes the help given by family and friends, as well as any provided within the community or by other organisations. It also includes any help provided by City of York Council.

You may have to pay towards some social care or support services. We follow Government guidelines to complete an assessment of your finances. For further information about the Government guidelines please visit -

    Starting with a good conversation (assessment)

    The process of assessing and planning your support begins with a good conversation. This conversation can take place in the community at one of the local Talking Points, in hospital (if you are a patient) or in your own home (if you are unable to access a Talking Point). It may take place somewhere else.

    You are welcome to have someone with you when you talk with adult social care if you would like to – this could be a carer, friend or member of your family. If you don’t know someone who could support you, adult social care can help to arrange an independent advocate for you – to make sure you feel listened to. If you would like to know more about independent advocacy, please visit .

    During this conversation, adult social care staff would like to talk with you about how you would like your situation to change, what you would like to achieve and how this might happen. Adult social care would like to understand the things that are most important to you and to talk about what works well for you as well as the difficulties you may have.

    Adult social care would like to know how your care and support needs affect your wellbeing. This may include – 

    • relationships with family or friends.
    • physical and mental health.
    • keeping safe.
    • having enough money.
    • being able to control your daily life and make decisions.
    • having a good place to live.


    By having a good conversation, adult social care will be able to assess your needs in line with the national eligibility rules about care and support. These rules are set out in the Care Act 2014 and help us to work out if you are entitled to support.

    Planning your care and support

    If you are eligible for care and support to be organised through the council...

    Following a conversation adult social care will work out your eligibility for care and support by following the guidelines set out in the Care Act 2014. If you are eligible, they will work with you to plan this together. A family member/friend or advocate can support you if you wish.

    Your support plan should include – 

    • what you want to achieve and how you want to achieve this.
    • the things that are important to you.
    • what you would like to happen – now and in the future.
    • your strengths and who you have around you.
    • the local resources, groups and organisations available in the community that could support you .This could be voluntary, health or other services.
    • the support you need which you will arrange and pay for yourself.
    • the support you need which the local authority may arrange and which you may pay towards.
    • how you will arrange your support and pay for it (e.g. a direct payment).
    • how you will manage if something unexpected happens and your situation changes suddenly.


    The support you will receive depends on what you need as an individual.

    You may wish to arrange and pay for your care and support privately. Adult social care can offer information and advice about how to do this. Further information is available in the arranging your own care and support section.

     You could look to see what community groups/activities are available that may meet some of your needs.

    If you require personal support you could look to see what is available that may meet your needs through the Product & Service Directory.

    Support for carers

    If you are caring for someone adult social care can talk with you about what support is available for you in your caring role. Please see the carers section for more information.

    Contacting adult social care

    Information about adult social care can be found on this website. However, if you would like some more information and advice please contact:

    Phone: (01904) 555111

    Text: 07534437804


    Write to:

    Adult Social Care
    West Offices
    Station Rise
    YO1 6GA.


    See adult social care at the Talking Points.

    If you are already receiving support from adult social care please contact the team on (01904) 555858 or email

    If you need to contact adult social care urgently out of hours please contact the emergency duty team on 01609 780780.

    Last reviewed: 22/10/2019

    Live Well York is supported by

    While every care has been taken in the compilation of this information, neither City of York Council, its partners or Public Consulting Group will be held responsible for any loss, damage or inconvenience caused as a result of using the site and any inaccuracies/errors within these pages.