Skip to main content
Please review and correct the information below.

Support to Remain Independent


You may be living in your own home and need support to maintain your accommodation and remain independent. You may need advice through a telephone support line, need a service where you can drop-in for support when you require it or receive more structured support or treatment.


This page provides a range of support options available to meet specific needs to remain independent in your own home.

Maintaining your tenancy

Handyperson Service

The YorWellbeing handyperson service is designed to help vulnerable residents to continue to live independently and safely in their homes, by helping them carry out simple repairs and tasks.

The service can perform small jobs around your home if you are a resident in the City of York council area who is:

  • aged 60 years and over
  • disabled

YorWellbeing Falls Prevention Scheme

The YorWellbeing Falls Prevention Scheme offers free home safety visits to residents in Clifton, Guildhall, Micklegate and Fishergate Wards who want practical help and advice to reduce the risk of falls in their home.

Request a free home safety visit from the Falls Prevention Scheme.

Intensive Housing Management

York Housing Association offer a floating support service which works with residents to prevent or address breaches of tenancy which have been caused by building related issues. Intensive Housing management is not personal support and support is offered in the following areas:

• Provide advice on building related issues e.g. safety of property, logging and reporting repairs, coordinating repairs, to act as a contact for contractors
• Assist with management of rent arrears
• Develop and monitor budgets
• Maximise income and claim benefits as appropriate
• Ensure property is kept in acceptable standard
• Address issues arising as a result of hoarding
• Address issues around antisocial behaviour, noise, nuisance and harassment

This service is only available to City of York Council and York Housing Associations tenants, tenants must be in receipt of benefits to cover the cost of support or be able to self fund.

For more information on the service provided by York Housing – Intensive Housing Management please contact the Single Access Point on 01904 553844 or email

Homeshare York

Homeshare York is a not-for-profit service that matches a Householder with a Homesharer for mutual benefit. The sharer will provide 10 hours of support a week in exchange for accommodation.

Homeshare could be an option to consider if you:

  • Are aged 55 years or over
  • Are an owner of a suitable property with a spare room
  • Live by yourself
  • Could benefit from some practical support and/or companionship
  • Do not require/ receive personal care
  • Are not in receipt of means-tested benefits

If you feel that you could benefit from Homeshare but do not quite fit the above criteria please contact HomeShare and they will consider individual circumstances.

Click City of York Council - Homeshare website to find out more.

Older people and people with physical disabilities

Older People and People with Physical disabilities - Community Wellbeing Support

Yorkshire Housing Association offer a floating support service for people, aged 60+ and people who have a disability, aged 18+
Examples of support offered:

• Home Help
• Collect Prescriptions
• Making a Meal
• Companionship
• Social Outings
• Shopping
• Benefit Application
• Keeping/Making Appointments
• Dog Walking

For more information on the service provided by Yorkshire Housing Association – Help at Hand floating support please contact the Single Access Point on 01904 553844 or email

Drug & Alcohol Support Services

Oak Trees

Changing Lives offers abstinence based structured day treatment for individuals suffering from drug or alcohol addiction based on a 12 step approach to recovery.

For more information about the service provided by Oak Tress please contact 01904 621776 or email or visit the Changing Lives website

York Drug and Alcohol Service

Changing Lives in partnership with Spectrum Community Health CIC deliver a combination of clinical and psychosocial interventions to individuals who experiencing substance misuse and alcohol issues.

For more information about the service offered by York Drug and Alcohol Service please contact 01904 464680 or email or visit Changing Lives

Homeless Prevention Support Services

Adult - Community Wellbeing Support

Changing Lives in Partnership with Community Links deliver floating support to individuals who have a specific housing related support need. The support offered ranges from telephone contact to a community drop in service or a weekly visit from a support worker depending on the needs of the individual.

For more information about the floating support service provided by Changing Lives in partnership with Community Links please contact the Single Access Point on 01904 553844 or email or visit Changing Lives



Carecent is a breakfast centre for all homeless, unemployed or otherwise socially excluded members of our community. Carecent provide food, clothing and fellowship in a friendly and non-judgemental environment. The volunteer staff are always ready to listen and offer support and advice where possible. Where appropriate, Carecent works with other agencies in order to move people forward to an improved lifestyle. Carecent is open to people aged 18+ six mornings a week - Monday to Saturday from 8.30am to 10.45am.

For more information on the service provided by Carecent please contact 01904 624244 or visit the Carecent website

Domestic Abuse

Help Lines

Independent Domestic Abuse Service (IDAS) run a helpline for anyone affected by domestic abuse or sexual violence (03000 110 110) You can call the helpline if you are experiencing domestic abuse or have been affected by sexual violence or abuse, if you are worried about your relationship or if you are concerned about someone you know. Professionals can also use the helpline to make referrals and to ask any questions.  The lines are free to contact and what you tell us will be treated in the strictest confidence

There is also a 24 hour national domestic violence number on 0808 2000 247 or the Rape Crisis line on 0808 802 9999.


Domestic Abuse Support Service

Independent Domestic Abuse Service (IDAS) provide support to people of all genders (over the age of 16) who are victims or survivors of Domestic Abuse.

This includes practical support, helping you through the criminal and civil justice systems as well as giving you information on benefits and housing, providing emotional support or referring you on for counselling.  Your safety is of paramount concern and they will always do their best to help you form a plan that will help you feel safer.

Support can be offered on a one to one basis or in a group.  If you don’t want to meet in person, they can also help you over the phone or via email at The team of people who provide support have specialist knowledge and in-depth training.  They also have good links with solicitors, counsellors and other specialist agencies.


Perpetrator Support

Making Safe is a multi-agency initiative supporting victims/survivors of domestic abuse to remain in their own homes and at the same time challenging the perpetrator’s behaviour. The aim of the scheme is to reduce homelessness and repeat offending. This scheme was highly commended in 2006 at the British Justice Awards and in 2008 won a Butler Trust Award for Protecting Communities


The advantage of the initiative is that service users remain at home rather than moving into a refuge or becoming homeless, children also remain in education in the same school.

The support to perpetrators in York is provided by Foundation.

Other Support

Here are some useful links to other types of support to remain independent:

Information, Advice and support with Mental Health

Information, Advice and support with Long term conditions

Information on a range of community support groups

   Last reviewed: 08/10/2019