Swipe left to see more options

Arranging your own Care and Support

Organising Care and Support

The council do not have to be involved in organising your care and support. If you know what you want and are able to pay for it yourself you can buy your own equipment (see Equipment to help you in your home) or arrange private care.

Information about products and organisations providing support can be found on the services and products directory area of this website.

If your support requirements include social needs then you could look at this website's What's On Directory.

Most care providers are inspected by the Care Quality Commission (CQC). They can also be contacted by telephone on 03000 616161.  Whilst the CQC have a responsibility to inspect providers of care, City of York Council are the lead agency in respect of any safeguarding concerns that you or a relative may have.

When employing your own carer or personal assistant (on a private basis), the council recommend you ask for references and ensure safety checks are completed. Please refer to the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) section on the UK government website for more information.

If you are organising your own support but would like some more information or assistance to do this, contact the adult social care team on (01904) 555111, or alternatively, call into one of the Talking Points.

Please be aware that you may be eligible for financial assistance in order to pay for care and support through the council. For more information on this please see the paying for care and support section.

Getting Informed

Lots of people find that they need more help or support as they get older. Starting to look for care and support can feel overwhelming, but there are people and organisations that can help.

The 'Social Care Talk' website contains short films and information to help if you’re looking for care and support for yourself or someone else. It includes information about who to talk to about meeting the costs of care. It also goes into detail about specific aspects including Paying for Social Care for Older People.

Mental Capacity

If there is some indication that you lack the mental capacity to make a decision around care and support then the guidance in the Mental Capacity Act 2005 needs to be followed. Please see the mental capacity section on this website for more information.

If you want to organise care and support for someone who does not have the capacity to make this decision, and you do not hold Lasting Power of Attorney for health and welfare and property and finances, or are not their appointed Deputy under the Court of Protection please contact adult social care on (01904) 555111 to discuss further.

Last updated: 31/08/2023