Swipe left to see more options

Care and Support at Home

Care and Support at Home

It may be that you need longer-term support to help you to remain as independent as possible. You can contact adult social care and arrange to talk to a member of social care staff about what you may like, who can help you achieve this and how it could be organised. We will often talk to you about options based in the community that may be able to offer what you are looking for and may mean that you do not require care to be organised by the council. The process of assessing and planning your support starts with a good conversation.

If the support you require is not available, either in the community, or through your own networks and resources, the council can help you organise this. You may need to pay for this support.  Please see the sections on paying for care and support which will help explain how funding for social care works.

If you would like financial support from the council, you will need to be assessed as eligible, under the Care Act, for care and support. If you have already organised your own support we cannot guarantee that we will be able to support you at the same level. Please contact us if you would like further advice.

Types of Support available

Community Support

You may wish to access local activities and opportunities which mean you are more involved in your local community – this could give you some more social contact and/or give your carer a break. Alternatively, you may want someone from the local community to visit you at home. For more information on activities and support in your area, please look at What's On Directory. Local Area Co-ordinators can support you with this, as can Social Prescribing.

Work, Training, Education and Volunteering

You may need some support around accessing or maintaining employment and education. For more information on opportunities and support organisations please look at the Adult Learning page.

Support in the home

For short term support at home, please see the short term care and support section.

Personal assistant –For longer-term support, you may wish to employ a personal assistant (PA) to work with you around daily activities, as part of our Direct Payments scheme. These activities could include support such as accessing your community, managing correspondence, help with personal care etc.

Advice and support is available to help you to do this – please contact adult social care on 01904 555111.

For a list of organisations who can support, please go to: Direct Payments - List of advice and support service providers

You may wish to access support in a different way. For example -

Support agency - There are other organisations that employ their own support workers and you may want to work with them. These workers can support you in a similar way to a personal assistant.

Home Care - You may want to have a care agency to support you to live at home. Care agencies usually support with tasks such as getting washed, dressed, medications and meal preparation or planning.

For the latest list of care and support agencies please search the Live Well York services and products directory for Personal Care.

Care Quality Commission

Most care providers are inspected by the Care Quality Commission. They can be contacted on telephone number 03000 616161.  Whilst the Care Quality Commission have a responsibility to inspect providers of care, City of York Council are the lead agency in respect of any safeguarding concerns you or a relative may have.

Last updated: 27/11/2023